The 2007 Dartmouth Club of the Piedmont Book Award Program begins now. The Dartmouth Book Award recognizes one junior at each of a number of area high schools for outstanding scholarship and leadership. We hope to keep building on the very successful program of the past two years; last year awards were presented to juniors at 18 schools from Winston-Salem to Wilmington, from Henderson to Pembroke. Still, there are prime target schools that need to be covered for the first time.
Please join us in continuing this program. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be as follows:
- Select a high school near you that you are familiar with, or from a list I will provide
- As soon as possible, but no later than early April, find out who handles academic awards at the high school you choose. Call or visit the school, speak with that person, explain the Dartmouth Book Award Program, and obtain the school’s agreement to select a junior for the award.
- Follow up with a letter to the school. As soon as you accept this mission, I will provide a specimen letter that will give the criteria for the award and information about the book to be presented.
- The school will select the winner and notify you.
- Notify me of the name and mailing address of winner, and of the date and time when the book will be presented.
- The club will have obtained a supply of the book. I will have one engraved for your winner and get it to you before the awards ceremony.
- Attend the school’s presentation ceremony and personally present the book on behalf of the College. If this is not possible, deliver the book to your contact at the school for presentation at the ceremony.
- Arrange press coverage.
- We will notify the College of all the winners and invite them to attend the Club’s send-off picnic in August.
Alternatively – or in addition – you may support the Book Award Program as a book sponsor, by underwriting the $25.00 cost of one or more of the books we will be presenting.
If you will participate – or want more information – please let me know as soon as possible at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or (919) 833-3757. And let me have your suggestions for improving the program this year.
Thanks a million!!
Tom Andrews ‘60
Immediate Past President
Chair, Book Award Program
The Dartmouth Club of the Piedmont