Webmaster Job Description
A Class, Club or Affinity Group Webmaster is responsible for using internet technology to help Dartmouth alumn* stay connected with each other and with the College. Because webmasters have different skill sets and approaches, and because the various alumn* groups have different needs, there is no one way to approach the job.
Some of the things webmasters do:
- Publish a web site for their group, with news about group members, photos, contact information, and links to key College sites. Many sites also provide discussion forums, web cams, multimedia movies, and copies of newsletters.
- Maintain and/or moderate mailing lists for their group. Mailing lists can take various forms, including an 'announcement list' which a few designated officers can use to disseminate information to their group, a 'discussion list' where all participants can carry on E-mail discussions, or task oriented lists for officers or others to communicate about projects or reunions.
- Support plans and execution of events (Reunions, Homecomings) and projects.
- Support the collection of dues. Some webmasters set up systems for members to check on their dues status and/or pay dues.
Some common issues webmasters face:
- Content. Content is King. Interesting material is what will bring visitors to a site or encourage readership or participation in other internet technology. Webmasters often sign up to be publishers and distributors of information, only to find that they also have to be the collectors of content, functioning as photographer and journalist at events. (This issue applies equally to Newsletter editors and Secretaries writing for DAM.)
- Fair use. Webmasters are asked to abide by the Dartmouth College Fair Use Policy.∞
- Communication and cooperation with other alumn* in leadership positions. There is obviously overlap in the responsibilities of webmasters, newsletter editors and secretaries. There are also times when the webmaster's job will overlap or impact the job of other officers. Shared goals and good communication help avoid problems.
Webmasters should also be familiar with the Vox Online Network official policy page∞.